- This event has passed.
The ‘Accidental Counsellor’ Workshop
A two-day workshop facilitated by Lifeline, Central Australia
The Alice Springs Family Law Pathways Network (ASFLPN) is organising a 2-day Accidental Counsellor workshop facilitated by Lifeline, Central Australia. The first 10 FLPN members to register will receive a $100 discount.
This 2-day workshop aims to provide people with a range of practical and effective skills to “step into the shoes” of an accidental counsellor and be able to appropriately respond to and support people when they are angry, distressed or experiencing a challenging time.
Regardless of your profession or industry, it is highly likely you will encounter challenging or emotionally distressed individuals. Accidental Counsellors are not counsellors as such, but find themselves in a ‘counselling role’ by accident as a result of conversations or requests for help from clients, colleagues, friends or others.
The Accidental Counsellor workshop aims to provide non-counsellors with a range of skills to work effectively with people who may be distressed, agitated or in crisis. This course draws on Lifeline’s vast experience in crisis counselling. The training gives participants a practical framework for managing these issues while achieving a sense of structure and confidence. The safety and well-being of an Accidental Counsellor is addressed in the session on Self Care.
This interactive workshop provides many opportunities for group discussion, activities and practising new skills.
– Understand the attributes of an effective ‘Accidental Counsellor’
– Practise a variety of counselling skills that are critical to any counselling situation
– Recognise the importance of active listening skills in the communication process
– Learn techniques to respond appropriately to aggressive or distressed clients and crisis situations
– Learn the importance of establishing personal and professional boundaries
– Develop self-care strategies
Date & Time
August 29 @ 8:30 am – August 30 @ 4:30 pm
Cost (Invoice sent after registration, first 10 FLPN members to register get $100 off):
- $450 for Not for Profit Organisations
- $560 for Government Organisations
**One free ticket will be provided to a member in Tennant Creek.
If you are eligible for a free ticket or have any questions or face difficulties when registering, please email email@example.com or call the FLPN Project Officer at 08 8950 4100.