Anglicare – Communities for Children
Link to Communities for Children website. Includes Weekly Parenting Calendar for playgroups and other activities for children aged 0-5 years and Parenting Support Services with information on a range of support services in Alice Springs. Communities for Children also produces the Alice Springs Community Services Directory which includes information on a range of services for children and families.
Families and Schools Together (FAST)
Families and Schools Together (FAST) is a family strengthening program that is strongly evidence-based and has an ongoing evaluation process. FAST is free and each program runs for eight weeks. Transport is provided as well as a healthy meal that a participating family helps prepare. Currently there are two FAST programs running in Central Australia:
- Baby FAST. Baby FAST aims to strengthen intergenerational bonds between babies from 0-3 years, their young parents and the grandparents. It also seeks to reduce stress caused by social isolation by connecting families with others and with Community Agencies. Baby FAST programs are usually held in a Community Centre or Family Centre.
- Kids FAST. Kids FAST aims to strengthen the relationships within a family with young primary school children, with other families, with the school and with Community Agencies. Kids FAST programs are held in the evenings in a school.
FAST Works is an ongoing support group sustained by the parents in the program. For more information on dates for when Baby FAST and Kids FAST are being run, please contact Eran Brady via phone on 0447 316 159 or email email@example.com
Lutheran Community Care
Lutheran Community Care provides the following services:
- Families Learning Together. Each term a series of 8 workshops per term are run for parents of children aged 0-4 years, during the Kwatja Etatha Play Group time. These are held on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9:30am-11:30am. Community Services Workshops are co-presented in partnership with Batchelor Institute and include topics that help develop parenting skills and awareness of child development and supporting healthy children. There is no cost, morning tea is provided and pick up and drop offs are available on request.
- Circle of Security is presented by trained play group workers. This is a 4 week parenting program. This program helps parents provide their children with emotional support needed to develop secure parent-child relationships, calm and connected families, supporting your child’s emotional world and building self esteem for your children and you as a parent. Dates include Monday 12th August, Monday 19th August, Monday 26th August and Monday 2nd September 2019 from 10:00-12:00pm. There is no cost for the program.
- For futher details please contact Lutheran Community Care on 8953 5160.
The following Relationships Education Courses offered by Relationships Australia in Semester 2, 2019.
- The Building Connections seminar is run fortnightly throughout the year. This seminar aims to help separated parents have healthy and strong relationships with their children. For dates and times please contact Relationships Australia.
- The Aboriginal Building Connections seminar is run weekly throughout the year. The Aboriginal Building Connections seminar is to help Aboriginal families through separation. This includes having healthy and strong relationships with their children. For dates and times please contact Relationships Australia.
- Dipping Your Toes Into Mindfulness. Find out what everyone is talking about at an introductory evening into the science, the practice and benefits of mindfulness. Mindfulness can help reduce your stress and anxiety in relationships, work and your everyday life. It helps us remove clutter in our minds, so that we can think more clearly about what we need to address in the present. This one night seminar is being offered on Thursday 29th August from 6:00-9:00pm. Cost is $40 per person or $60 per couple.
- Bringing Up Great Kids. Would you like to understand why we do what we do as parents and what makes your kids tick? This course will help parents explain and reflect on their parenting style and their children’s behaviour. It provides parents with a greater understanding of how to meet their children’s needs and communicate with their children. This is a three week course. Dates include Tuesday 3rd September, Tuesday 10th September and Tuesday 17th September from 9:00am-2:00pm. Another course is being run from Tuesday 19th November, Tuesday 26th November and Tuesday 3rd December from 5:30-9:30pm. The cost is $45 per person.
- Communicate and Connect. Have you ever wondered what kind of communication makes for the most meaningful and lasting connections? In this 3 hour workshop, you will learn simple strategies derived from scientific research and clinical experience, and hear from others about what works and what doesn’t. The activities and opportunities for reflection will be both useful and engaging. In doing the workshop, you will hopefully feel inspired to bring more sincerity and grace into your life with others. This one night seminar is being offered on Thursday 24th October from 6:00-9:00pm. The cost is $40 individual and $60 for couple.
- For further information and registrations for these courses, please contact Relationships Australia on 8950 4100 or 1800 634 405 or visit Relationships Australia website.
Urban Primary Health Child and Family
Child and Family Health (Flynn Drive) provide a range of courses to parents including:
- Territory Parents Support Program. This 6 week program is for new parents and includes such topics as introduction to brain development, baby massage, baby communication, nutrition, sleep and settling, water safety awareness and eyes, teeth and ears. The program is being offered 7 times throughout 2019 and is run on Wednesday from 10:00am-12:00pm.
- Introduction to Solids. Stage 1 of Introduction to Solids includes how, what, where and when to start introducing solids. Stage 2 of Advancing Tastes and Textures is for parents of infants from 6-12 months who have started solid foods. These sessions are run monthly on Thursday from 1:30pm-2:30pm.
- Circle of Security is presented by trained play group workers. This is an evidence based parenting training program over 8 sessions. This program helps parents provide their children with emotional support needed to develop secure attachment, resilience and skills for getting ready for school. For dates for this course, please contact Flynn Drive Clinic.
- To register these courses, please contact Flynn Drive Clinic on 89516 711.