Anglicare – Communities for Children
Link to Communities for Children website. Includes Weekly Parenting Calendar for playgroups and other activities for children aged 0-5 years and Parenting Support Services with information on a range of support services in Alice Springs. Communities for Children also produces the Alice Springs Community Services Directory which includes information on a range of services for children and families.
Families and Schools Together (FAST)
Families and Schools Together (FAST) is a family strengthening program that is strongly evidence-based and has an ongoing evaluation process. FAST is free and each program runs for eight weeks. Transport is provided as well as a healthy meal that a participating family helps prepare. Currently there are two FAST programs running in Central Australia:
- Baby FAST. Baby FAST aims to strengthen intergenerational bonds between babies from 0-3 years, their young parents and the grandparents. It also seeks to reduce stress caused by social isolation by connecting families with others and with Community Agencies. Baby FAST programs are usually held in a Community Centre or Family Centre.
- Kids FAST. Kids FAST aims to strengthen the relationships within a family with young primary school children, with other families, with the school and with Community Agencies. Kids FAST programs are held in the evenings in a school.
FAST Works is an ongoing support group sustained by the parents in the program. For more information on dates for when Baby FAST and Kids FAST are being run, please contact Eran Brady via phone on 0447 316 159 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lutheran Community Care
Lutheran Community Care provides the following services:
- Families Learning Together. Each term a series of 8 workshops per term are run for parents of children aged 0-4 years, during the Kwatja Etatha Play Group time. These are held on a Wednesday and Thursday from 9:30am-11:30am. Community Services Workshops are co-presented in partnership with Batchelor Institute and include topics that help develop parenting skills and awareness of child development and supporting healthy children. Offered during school Term 2 of 2019.
- Circle of Security is presented by trained play group workers. This is an evidence based parenting training program over 8 sessions. This program helps parents provide their children with emotional support needed to develop secure attachment, resilience and skills for getting ready for school. This will be offered in Term 2 of 2019 and subject to interest may be extended.
- For futher details please contact Lutheran Community Care on 8953 5160.
The following Relationships Education Courses offered by Relationships Australia in Semester 1, 2019.
- The Building Connections seminar is run fortnightly throughout the year. This seminar aims to help separated parents have healthy and strong relationships with their children. For dates and times please contact Relationships Australia.
- The Aboriginal Building Connections seminar is run weekly throughout the year. The Aboriginal Building Connections seminar is to help Aboriginal families through separation. This includes having healthy and strong relationships with their children. For dates and times please contact Relationships Australia.
- Dipping Your Toes Into Mindfulness. Find out what everyone is talking about at an introductory evening into the science, the practice and benefits of mindfulness. Mindfulness can help reduce your stress and anxiety in relationships, work and your everyday life. It helps us remove clutter in our minds, so that we can think more clearly about what we need to address in the present. This one night seminar is being offered on Thursday 4th April from 6:00-9:00pm. Cost is $40 per person or $60 per couple.
- Bringing Up Great Kids. Would you like to understand why we do what we do as parents and what makes your kids tick? This course will help parents explain and reflect on their parenting style and their children’s behaviour. It provides parents with a greater understanding of how to meet their children’s needs and communicate with their children. This is a three week course. Dates include Wednesday 8th May, Wednesday 15th May and Wednesday 22nd May 2019 from 10:00am-2:00pm, cost is $45 per person.
- For further information and registrations for these courses, please contact Relationships Australia on 8950 4100 or 1800 634 405 or visit Relationships Australia website.
Urban Primary Health Child and Family
Child and Family Health (Flynn Drive) provide a range of courses to parents including:
- Territory Parents Support Program. This 6 week program is for new parents and includes such topics as introduction to brain development, baby massage, baby communication, nutrition, sleep and settling, water safety awareness and eyes, teeth and ears. The program is being offered 7 times throughout 2019 and is run on Wednesday from 10:00am-12:00pm.
- Introduction to Solids. Stage 1 of Introduction to Solids includes how, what, where and when to start introducing solids. Stage 2 of Advancing Tastes and Textures is for parents of infants from 6-12 months who have started solid foods. These sessions are run monthly on Thursday from 1:30pm-2:30pm.
- Circle of Security is presented by trained play group workers. This is an evidence based parenting training program over 8 sessions. This program helps parents provide their children with emotional support needed to develop secure attachment, resilience and skills for getting ready for school. This course will start on Wednesday 6th March 2019 from 10:00am-12:30pm and run until 24th April 2019.
- To register these courses, please contact Flynn Drive Clinic on 89516 711.