- This event has passed.
Hearing the Untold Stories of Men: Engaging and Working with Separated Fathers
September 5, 2016 @ 5:30 pm - September 6, 2016 @ 1:30 am$80
Simon Santosha from Men & Family Counselling and Consultancy will present “Hearing the Untold Stories of Men: Engaging and Working with Separated Fathers”.
Engaging and supporting separated men and fathers during this highly emotive and often highly conflictual time is imperative for the wellbeing of separated men/fathers, their ex-partners, children, families and communities. Family relationship services play a crucial role. In fact, newly separated fathers are the single largest group of men who will seek out these services to help them. However, if they do not receive the help that they feel they need they will quickly disengage from the services and develop their own problem solving strategies.
This workshop aims to equip participants with the knowledge and practical skills to engage and work with separated fathers more effectively in their programs, services and groups.
It will focus on:
- Examining male interpersonal relationships-insights from masculine psychology/
- neuroscience to understand why men do the things they do in intimate relationships and during separation and divorce.
- Impact of men’s mental health/masculine depression on relationships.
- Dealing with grief and loss during separation and divorce. Understanding men’s reactive and/or disconnecting behaviours and barriers to moving on and seeking help.
- Strength based approaches when working with separated fathers – what they are and why they are so effective.
- Developing respectful co-parenting relationships and positive father-child relationships.
- Maximising the effectiveness of referral and support networks for separated fathers.